|Photo by Kristen W.|
While I did not attend the ACFW Conference, I did attend the North Texas Christian Fiction Writers conference the weekend before. At the end of the conference, there was an author panel consisting of Michelle Medlock Adams, Mary DeMuth, Steven James, Gail Gaymer Martin, and Tim Shoemaker. These authors answered questions put forth by the participants. In the answers these authors gave, came beautiful words of wisdom that I thought worthy of sharing.
- You are writing upon the heart of the reader. Write from your heart to theirs.
- Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you will land in the stars.
- You learn more from writing your book than from studying the craft.
- You must sacrifice and put your own selfish desires on the altar to follow your dream.
- You offer your work unto the Lord, and live with the peace in bringing glory to God.
- Publishing does not validate you - Jesus validates you. When Jesus validates you, you are well-souled.
Don't you love that last one? If we live with the expectation that we be validated when we achieve success in our writing, we will be sorely disappointed. It is only when The One and Only validates you that you will be truly at peace and fulfilled. You will be well-souled. You will be freed to write for Him in the peace that only He can give. You will indeed be well-souled.