Thursday, September 22, 2011
Top 5 Things to Avoid Telling Editors and Agents at Conferences
Here are my top five things you should never, ever, ever tell an editor or agent at a writers conference:
5. [in one-on-one appointment] "This manuscript is my best work yet. Oh, and by the way, my mom wrote half of it."
4. [to Amish fiction editor] "I don't get all this Amish craze. Who gives a rip about bonnets and buggies?"
3. [at the lunch table] "You've got a strawberry seed the size of Russia between your teeth."
2. [at the dinner table] "I came out of the womb with a pen in my hand. Wanna see pictures?"
1. [sliding proposal under agent's hotel room door at 6am] "Newspaper delivery!"
Have you made any embarrassing comments at a conference that you're willing to share? How would you tell an editor or agent they have a strawberry seed between their teeth?
*This list was originally posted on www.sarahforgrave.com on June 29, 2011.
**Photo by Ambro / FreeDigitalPhotos.net